Sunday 8 July 2012

Why on Earth did I come home?


Home being Mid-Wales, nowhere near the Ocean, surrounded by farms and trees and fields all that lovely countryside stuff, but still, nowhere near the Ocean! 

Having spent 6 and a half months away from home, I was ready to see the parentals and be surrounded by all the accoutrements of home life; the cat, the sister, the saxophone etc. However, I had spent those 6 months living the life of my dreams.

Firstly in Australia, as one of many volunteers on a HUGE Humpback Whale project funded by the Oil and Gas industry big-wigs, I was living on a holiday resort with a pool and jacuzzi,  twice-weekly dinners at the surf club, up at dawn every day to watch giants of the ocean on their southerly migration past white sand beaches and sparkling surf...

Then in New Zealand, my Second Home, after a bit of a shaky start due to the inability of some PhD students that take advantage of wannabe Marine Biologists like myself and really expect far too much from volunteers who would (and frequently do) give anything to have a chance at the life that they have - but more of that another day, its a pet hate of mine! - I was living with the most incredible family I know (check them out at  http://www.blueocean.co.nz/ ), gained TWO new kiwi cousins, lived for a month in Tawharanui regional park (also known as paradise) and generally had an awesome time!

Finally 4 days in Sydney with a dear friend, being a complete tourist :)

I came home, to Snow, then the wettest April May and June ON RECORD!! The weather here, IN SUMMER, is no better than the weather in Tauranga, NZ, IN WINTER...

Not only that, but bugger all shifts at work, and so no money to enjoy the rubbish summer!

To be fair, I have a few things to look forward to, a music workshop, holibobs in Cornwall with lovely ladies from University and the start of my Masters Degree in Marine Biology at the University of Bangor. But seriously Earth, give us a nice hurricane in the Atlantic so we can have some Sunshine!

Why on Earth did I come home?

No comments:

Post a Comment